Shure SM7B Studio Vocal Microphone
The Shure SM7B dynamic microphone has a smooth, flat, wide-range frequency response appropriate for music and speech in all professional audio applications. It features excellent shielding against electromagnetic hum generated by computer monitors, neon lights, and other electrical devices. In addition to its standard windscreen, it also includes the A7WS windscreen for close-talk applications.
Frequently bought together:
Whether it’s broadcasting, podcasting or recording, voices need to be handled with care. When purified and polished, every detail has more impact. That’s why the Shure SM7B was built — to capture smooth, warm vocals that connect the speaker to the listener.
HOW IT WORKS
The wide-range frequency response of the Shure SM7B preserves the natural beauty of the sound it captures. With its detailed audio profile, words may travel far, but they always arrive at their destination with quality and clarity intact.
WHY IT’S BETTER
- Only good air gets through - The air suspension shock isolation and the pop filter eliminate both mechanical noise and breathiness. So words get through and the rest stays out of the mix.
- Shield your sound - We added advanced electromagnetic shielding to defeat hum from computer monitors and other studio equipment.
- Uniform capture - The classic cardioid pattern is designed to reject off-axis audio. So you can sing or speak at a comfortable angle and it captures the sound, just as you want it, with minimum colouration.
The SM7B is an outstanding choice for the following applications:
- Recording Studio—Instrumental and Vocal
- Location Recording
- Motion Picture and Television Scoring
- Television, Talk Shows, and News Desks
- Radio Announcing and Production
WHAT'S IN THE BOX
- 1 x Shure SM7B
- 1 x Shure A7WS Detachable Windscreen
- 1 x Shure RPM602 Switch Cover Plate
Shure SM7B Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Shure SM7B need phantom power?
Officially, as the Shure SM7B is a dynamic microphone, it does not require phantom power to be used. However, in real world situations, due to the low output of the Shure SM7B (-59.0dB) a lot of users will pair it with a gain booster such as the Cloudlifter CL-1, and most of these require phantom power to work.
Most audio interfaces with built-in microphone preamps are designed for use with condenser microphones which do not require much gain, so only provide only 40 to 50 dB of gain.
Ideal recording volume is around -20dB to -5dB, so a preamp with an output volume of 40dB would be in theory a great choice, but it's not always that straightforward.
Does the Shure SM7B come with a cable?
The Shure Sm7B does not come supplied with a cable, so this will need to be purchased separately.
Is Shure SM7B a condenser mic?
The Shure SM7B is not a condenser microphone, but it does have a low output (-59.0dB) so you will need plenty of gain to get a good signal.
Is the Shure SM7B a dynamic mic?
The Shure SM7B is a cardioid dynamic microphone with a high dynamic range.
What is the Shure SM7B frequency response?
The Shure SM7B has a frequency response of 50-20,000Hz
When you buy a Shure SM7B, what is in the box?
The Shure SM7B comes with a detachable windscreen to reduce plosives, plus a switch cover plate to prevent inadvertent or accidental switching of the Bass rolloff or Mid-range emphasis.
- Rugged construction for securing the microphone cartridge
- Detachable close-talk windscreen and switch cover plate included
- Reduces distortion from loud sources
- Also useful for close-miking instruments in studio where warm and smooth full-frequencies are a must
- Flat, wide-range frequency response for exceptionally clean and natural reproduction of both music and speech
- Bass rolloff and mid-range emphasis (presence boost) controls with graphic display of response setting
- Improved rejection of electromagnetic hum, optimised for shielding against broadband interference emitted by computer monitors
- Internal “air suspension” shock isolation virtually eliminates mechanical noise transmission
- Highly effective pop filter eliminates need for any add-on protection against explosive breath sounds, even for close-up vocals or narration
- Now shipping with the A7WS detachable windscreen, designed to reduce plosive sounds and gives a warmer tone for close-talk vocals
- Yoke mounting with captive stand nut for easy mounting and dismounting provides precise control of microphone position
- Classic cardioid polar pattern, uniform with frequency and symmetrical about axis, to provide maximum rejection and minimum coloration of off-axis sound
- Rugged construction and excellent cartridge protection for outstanding reliability
|Frequency Response:||50 to 20,000 Hz|
|Electromagnetic Hum Sensitivity:||
60 Hz: 11 dB
500 Hz: 24 dB
1 kHz: 33 dB
(Typical, Equivalent SPL/milliOersted)
|Impedance:||150 ohms for connection to microphone inputs rated at 19 to 300 ohms.|
|Output Level (at 1,000 Hz):||
Open Circuit Voltage: – 59.0 dB (1.12 mV)
0 dB = 1 volt per Pascal
Bass rolloff and mid-range emphasis: Slotted response
|Cartridge Shock Mount:||Internal air-suspension shock and vibration isolator.|
|Microphone Connector:||Three-pin professional audio (XLR)|
captive nut for ease of attachment to stand,
|5/8 in.–27 thread.|
|Polarity:||Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 relative to pin 3.|
|Case:||Dark grey enamel aluminium and steel case with dark grey foam windscreen.|
|Net Weight:||765.4 grams (1 lb, 11 oz)|